Monday, February 21, 2011

How I got into print

When I give talks I am often asked how I first got published. I tell this story:

Many years ago, just before Christmas, I found an advertisement on the back page of The New Statesman. "Writers Make More Money!" it proclaimed. Well, I'm a writer, I thought (a handful of short stories sold to the BBC) and I'm hardly making any money. There was a P.O. Box to send for information. My husband thought it would prove to be a writing school and that I would have to part with some money before there was any chance of making any.

He was wrong. The material that arrived was from D.C. Thomson. They needed new writers for their girls' picture story papers such as Mandy, Judy and Debbie. There were a couple of sample scripts and photo copies of how they translated to the page of the story paper. The scripts were fascinating. The instruction was to have a go at writing one and even though there was no guarantee of it being accepted - in fact they said it probably wouldn't be - if they thought you had promise they were prepared to train you. I had a go.

I found out later that about 30,000 impecunious writers had responded to the advertisement but most of them dropped out when they discovered what was required. Nevertheless about 3,000 people did have a go and my editor told me later that the whole staff up in Dundee put in extra hours until they'd decided on twelve possibles. I was one of them. And the script I had submitted was, in fact, accepted and became the first episode of the serial "Cathy's Friend From Yesterday"(a time-slip tale)

which ran in Mandy. What fun I had for the next fourteen years. I wrote for the Christmas Annuals as well as the weekly papers.

Fourteen years was far too long, I should have put my hockey stick away and tackled grown-up novels long before that. By the time I most regretfully said goodbye to Mandy and co. I was the only one of that batch of writers left.

And now Mandy and her friends are no more but they taught me much about writing. I'll tell you what another time or should I say: Story to be continued?

6 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Gemmell said...

Love your story, Benita! My favourite read was Bunty, from the very first issue, and I loved the Bunty and Mandy annuals. I still have a few - only the 1994 and 1995Mandy Annual, a few Bunty and a Judy.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Lesley Cookman said...

It's provoked some comments on the loop, Benita - but they really should leave comments here - comments are the only way I get to know if my blog is being read.

I was a "Girl" girl myself...
Lesley x

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Tessa said...

I have fond memories of reading Mandy on Saturday mornings and was so proud that my Mum had written the best story! :)
I also have wonderful memories of being involved as a character, along with my friends, when you started to write photo stories.

Tessa xxx

1:14 PM  
Blogger aka Susie Gardner said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing story, Benita. Looking forward to learning more about what those wonderful years taught you about writing.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Cara Cooper said...

Hi Benita, I have spent MANY happy hours ready Bunty and Mandy. I remember really looking forward to the day they were delivered and reading them from cover to cover. I remember Vanda, and a story about a girl who had to bathe in fire, or a special stream or something to get her strength back. Also, the Four Marys about girls at a boarding school I think. Sorry for my sketchy memory, it was a long time ago but goodness I loved those stories and I'm sure my father was right when he said that comics encouraged children to read books.

8:20 PM  
Blogger janet thomas said...

I am so glad that you did get into print Benita. I met you at the RVI a few months ago.
Now I am a huge fan, and cannot get enough of your books.
I love the settings, and the characters, and especially the historical references.
Cannot wait to read more, and I will be recommending your books to all my friends and family.
Jan x

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home